I'm super excited to be a part of the Creative Blog Hop that has been going around blog-land for several months! My friend, Katie- Stamping Lightly, tagged me last week, and I'm honored that she would ask me to be a part of this hop! Be sure to stop by her hop post HERE.
For this CBH, I will answer 4 questions about my creative process, studio, and more. First, let me share my studio with you! I am a neat/clean freak, but this photo of my room doesn't show it! LOL!
Let's play a game called, Where's Olsen!? LOL! He's in A LOT of my photos and videos, and he's always in my studio!
I think that I've got a little bit of everything on my desk right now... I will say that I've been working on a Virtual Smooches video for the past six days! LOL! I usually post on Thursdays but haven't had the chance to post yet. I'm also working on some special Imagine Crafts projects-- love love love my inks! I am also working on my calendar and trying to get everything scheduled so I don't forget anything when I'm on vacation next month. ANNNNNNNNNND....I'm also pulling out fabrics and sewing stuff to make a special gift for a friend. One of my goals in 2014 is to sew at least once a month. This special gift will be my September project:) The last project I'm working on is time consuming and kind of hard (due to my hoarding tendencies)- I'm going through my stash of crafty goodness and putting it out in the garage for a craft/garage sale. I've already had three or four different groups of women stop by for a sneak peek sale. But it looks like they didn't even make a dent in all of my stuff! LOL!
I promise--- I really am a neat freak! This is a mess of a desk!
Overall--- I'm working on this and that, and all things crafty:)
2. How does your work differ from others in your genre?
When interviewed as the Designer of the Month for the December 2013 CARDS magazine, I said that I think my style is fun/graphic/modern with layers and detail... but now I'm thinking it's a mix of these three with some CAKS (Clean and Kind of Simple). I'm not sure my work is really that much different from others in my group... maybe the difference is that their work is way better than mine! LOL! I'm in awe of so many crafters! I love love love gathering inspiration from different projects and places (i.e. layouts, Project Life pages, gift bags, Pinterest, blogs, etc). Here's two of my creations--- kind of simple, fun, modern, layered, and inspired by Pinterest or a layout:
3. Why do you create what you do?
I've always been drawn to arts/crafts... but there are a couple of reasons I currently am found in my craft room 90% of the time:
- Design Teams- LOL! I've got work that has to be done!
- I love to share my creations with others! I am a hardcore cardmaker, and my goal is to bless someone with my creations. I love making others feel loved and cared for. Sometimes friends or family will buy my creations and send them out, and then they report back to me how much the recipient loved their gift. I'm not crafting to be "noticed" (although I will admit that I'm a "words of affirmation" kind of gal.... so comments, being pinned, and being noticed always make me smile).... but my goal is to be a blessing to others. I want to share my talents and brighten someone else's day with a handmade creation. I will also be honest and say that I've actually received some of my OWN cards in the mail--- it makes me cry that someone would buy a card from me and send it back to me! LOL! So I know how it feels to get something so special-- this feeling makes me want to share my cards (and all of my projects) with the WORLD! :)
4. How does your creative process work?
To be honest, I struggle when crafting! I just want to add more and more details or color... and sometimes I have an AWESOME idea that just turns out HORRIBLE! LOL! Here's the process (the best way I can explain it-- and if you watch my videos, you will KNOW what I'm talking about! LOL!):
- I usually start out with an idea (that I had after surfing the net while at an appointment or in the car... or when I'm watching TV).
- Next I sit down to work--- pulling out my supplies/etc.
- Then I start working on my cardbase and design.... I usually have to scrap at least one or two things before I like what I have.
- I will clean my work area at this point-- just in case there was a mess on my desk! LOL!
- While designing, I am not satisfied with my creations until I've moved something or stamped an extra sentiment at least once during the process! LOL! **NOTE: I've ruined several creations during this step!
- Again, time to clean the desk.
- My card is almost completed, and now I sit back and look at it. Does it have a flow to it? Do I need to add or take away? Should I round a corner or add splatters?
- Now at this point, I'm usually frustrated, but I continue and mess with my ribbon/bow.
- Finally, I say, "Enough is ENOUGH!" and that's when my card is done! ***NOTE: Or I ask Trav if there is anything else I can do/add/etc.... and his response is always, "It's fine. You are finished." :)
And that's it--- I hope that you have enjoyed learning more about me:) I've had so much fun sharing some of my favorite projects/video of my studio/etc. and talking about crafting with you!!! THANKS so much for asking me to join in the fun, Katie!
THANKS so much for stopping by! Be blessed:)
ps...I know I'm supposed to share three more designers and their blogs to continue this blog hop! I will announce these friends SOON! :)